Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Snow

All day yesterday I was on "Snow Watch". We were promised a storm. We were promised inches and possibly feet of snow. We were promised a snow day.

All day I waited and it didn't seem like it was coming. I grew increasingly prepared for my entire city to be embarrassed today when the white stuff did not come pouring from the sky despite our preemptive freak outs.

I still held out hope though and last night felt like Christmas Eve. I was so anxious to find out if the city would in fact be turned into a winter wonderland and more importantly if my bus routes would be closed allowing me a convenient excuse not to go to work.

I reached out to a few people to see if they wanted to hang out and wait for the "snowpocolypse". No such luck. And so at 9:30 last night I decided my only option was to go to bed and sleep my snow anxiety out.

I woke up probably every hour wondering if it had snowed. Finally at 3:30am I actually got out of bed, walked to the living room, looked out the window, and was disappointed. Still clear. *Sigh*. I went back to bed resigned to the fact that yes a real workday was in my future.

But this story has a happy ending! This morning when my alarm went off I ran to the window just in case in the weather man had delivered. And oh how he had!!!  SNOW!!!

I put on my boots. I put on my warmest winter jacket. I ran down the street to see if the road going up the hill was closed.


YES! YES! YES! There's no way Queen Anne Avenue was going to be traversed by this lady. I returned to my apartment. Called my supervisor. Found she too opted out of her commute. Got to the business of enjoying all that is Seattle when it snows.

I decided the best way to do this was put on some festive lipwear, walk to Starbucks, and work from there. It was a long, arduous, and cold journey...


The trip was definitely worth it though. It's been wonderful to see the place fill up and listen to all the excited chatter over the weather. My favorite thing so far today though has been watching people outside traipsing around in snowshoes (Seattle-ites are special) and dragging toboggans behind them...

I should probably get back to some real work (cue *le sigh*).  Luckily I have a coffee refill coming my way and a nice little snow day playlist to tap my toes to...

Bittersweet Melodies - Feist
Goshen - Beirut
I Know Places - Lykke Li
Infinite Arms - Band of Horses
Long Walk To Never - Jaymay
Minnesota, WI - Bon Iver
Posters - Youth Lagoon
White Winter Hymnal - Fleet Foxes


Enjoy your day whether it be snowy or dry!

3 comments:

  1. oh man! glad you got some snow! I live in Texas, so chances of us receiving snow are usually pretty slim... sure does look beautiful up there though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i kept hitting refresh on various local news sites and school report.org, and it was growing obsessive. lucky for us, snow days abounded! far more than we'd been promised!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...